Adoption Rules and Procedures
Submit an application online and come to the next adoption event
- Most applicants will not receive an email or call back after submitting an application. If you do not hear from us within 3 days please plan to come to the next adoption event to speak with a staff member.
- You must have an application submitted at least 72 hours prior to an adoption event in order meet the adoptable dogs.
- Applicants who miss the deadline are welcome to come speak with staff, but there are no guarantees the application will be reviewed on-site, and you will not be able to meet the dogs or hold puppies during your visit.
- We do not accept paper applications.
- AARF holds adoption clinics almost every weekend, generally on Sundays, for adopters to be able to meet and adopt companions. For a listing of times and locations check on our Events Page.
- All adopters must complete an application, interview, sign an adoption agreement, and agree to a home visit in order to adopt.
- Applying does not guarantee approval for adoption.
- We are not a first come, first adopt agency.
- Please be kind, we are an all-volunteer organization.
- AARF does not hold dogs. Our goal is to place dogs into loving homes in a timely manner.
- AARF requires both spouses be 21 years or older to adopt.
- AARF does not place puppies under 6 months old into homes with children 4 years and under. Exceptions can be made on a case-by-case basis.
- All members of the household must meet the dog either prior to the adoption or during the home visit. Exceptions for out of area adoptions may be available on a case-by-case basis.
- Occasionally we will pre-approve applicants for a specific dog based on their application. Every dog is unique we can only pre-approve applications for a specific dog.
- If anything on your application has changed, such as your address or the pets in the home, you must submit a new application for review.
Note: AARF reserves the right to decline service or adoption to anyone (excluding protected classes).
Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page for more information.
All dogs adopted from AARF are spayed/neutered (no exceptions), current on age-appropriate vaccinations, dewormed, and microchipped. The adoption fee is inclusive of all medical made interventions prior to adoption date.
- Large breed adults: $300
- Small breed adults: $350
- Puppies: $350
- Seniors for Seniors: $100
This is a general fee scale. AARF reserves the right to change the fee at any point for any reason.